About Me

My photo
Have you ever noticed how the movies you enjoy the most, or the movies that truly change the way you see things never seem to get awards? Here is the chance for we movie-watchers to vote on our own favorites and recognize the movies that mean something to us.
Click here to get local show times.
Click here for the latest celebrity news.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 9, 2008

Speed Racer

The story begins with Speed Racer who is a young man with natural racing instincts whose goal is to win The Crucible, a cross-country car racing rally that took the life of his older brother, Rex Racer. Speed is loyal to the family business, run by his parents Pops and Mom. Pops designed Speed's car, the Mach 5. The owner of Royalton Industries makes Speed a lucrative offer, Speed rejects the offer, angering the owner. Speed also uncovers a secret that top corporate interests, including Royalton, are fixing races and cheating to gain profit. With the offer to Speed denied, Royalton wants to ensure that Speed will not win races. Speed finds support from his parents and his girlfriend Trixie and enters The Crucible in a partnership with his one-time rival, Racer X, seeking to rescue his family's business and the racing sport itself.
Written by Anthony Pereyra
Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0811080/plotsummary
Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0811080/trailers-trailer-vi2763129113

My comments: Well done! I wasn't expecting too much, but what could I have expected when I had never even heard of Speed Racer before I saw the preview? The preview convinced me to go see it, and of course the fact that Susan Sarandon is in it helped too. I wasn't disappointed; in fact, I was pleasantly surprised because it was so much better than I expected it to be. At first the colors bothered me, but then after I got used to them, I started to actually enjoy how colorful the movie was. I had to keep telling myself that this was originally a cartoon. One of the things that surprised me the most and what almost kept me from going to see it was that I was afraid the acting would be bad. In fact it wasn't bad at all! I was impressed that even though this movie was probably made completely within the four walls of a studio, the way the actors made their characters come alive made my imagination take flight. In short, I have to say that it is a very well done movie, and too bad I wasn't watching it in an IMAX theater.

O yeah, I can't forget to mention my favorite actor in the whole movie: the monkey. Well done, my little friend! (Don't forget to vote.)

2 comments:

Hernan+ said...

It was a little too long and hard to follow (if you didn't see the cartoons before which I did)

The colors were distractive at the beguining but while you get use to it's just fun.

'Speed Racer' or 'Meteoro' is another groundbreaking movie from the creators of The matrix... however it is not for everyone.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this movie. I had my doubts about it, but the special effects in the preview were so amazing I figured I had to go see it at least once. And right in the beginning of the movie there was a scene between the kid and his older brother, and I thought, oh no, the acting is going to be terrible. But then the story really got started and I saw that the acting is part of what makes this movie so great. It's highly stylized, which is going to be hard for some people, but the characters are all real and the acting is terrific. Oh, and the movie is visually brilliant--unlike anything else I've ever seen.